The Santorini flying dress was one of the things that most impressed me on this Greek island. The giant red dress and the army of helpers around the photographer turned heads on the Oia to Fira hiking path.
Little did I know that it was such a popular thing to do on Santorini! Now that I know it, I see dozens of flowing dresses flying around on Instagram and Facebook, girls with happy smiles on their faces, pregnant women proudly showcasing their baby bumps, couples, etc. As I might want to return to Santorini with my friends in 2022, I put together this Santorini flying dress photosession guide for the purpose of planning every single detail in advance.
- 1 Where To Find a Flying Dresses Photographer in Santorini?
- 2 How Much Is a Flying Dress Photoshoot in Santorini?
- 3 Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Oia?
- 4 Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Fira?
- 5 Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Imerovigli?
- 6 What Should I Wear To a Santorini Photoshoot?
Where To Find a Flying Dresses Photographer in Santorini?
Santorini is probably the busiest Greek island, at least from June to September. I’ve visited it in October and there were still lots of tourists everywhere. As the number of photographers on Santorini is limited, you’d better book your photoshoot in advance, as soon as you have all other details of your trip sorted out.
The best place to look for Santorini photographers is online. I’ve done research and I’ve bookmarked the following options:
- Private Flying Dress Photoshoot with Vicky – the price includes the rental of the flying gown, a two-hours photo session in Firostefani, Immerovigli and Oia, and minimum 80 edited pictures. Flying dresses available in red, sky blue, royal blue, yellow, pink, purple, black, emerald green, or fuchsia.
- Blue Dome Private Photo Tour with Flying Dress – the photographer promises to show you photogenic off the beaten path spots on Santorini. The flying dress is included, but you can choose to wear your own gown, if so you wish.
- Click here to book a flying dress Santorini photoshoot with a professional photographer. Available in several colors, these flying gowns are easy to adjust to fit you like a glove. The offer includes a 1-hour photoshoot, the rental of one dress, six retouched photos and 15 color corrected ones. You get to choose your favorite pictures to have them retouched and corrected.
Here’s a video of the full Santorini flying dress experience for you to understand what this is all about and what to expect from such a photography package.
How Much Is a Flying Dress Photoshoot in Santorini?
The price of a Santorini flying dress photoshoot depends on the number of shooting locations, the group size, the length of the photo session, the extras, the season, and the number of edited pictures delivered. Prices may range between $150 and $600 per person.
Some photographers have lower fees, but charge you extra for the flying dress rental. Others include all props in their fees. Before booking your photoshoot, make sure you read some client reviews.
Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Oia?
Oia is the place to go for taking those famous Santorini sunset photos with windmills and colorful bougainvillea. Since Oia is built on steep terrain, you’ll find plenty of opportunities for breathtaking flying dress photos.
Here are some photos I took in Oia in the beginning of October. There were no flying dress girls around that day. Nonetheless, you’ll understand how the scenery looks and what to expect from a photo shooting in Oia, with or without flowing gowns in sheer silk.
In fact, the coastal path between Fira and Imerovigli is perhaps the bets spot for awesome flying dresses photoshoots, as the are lots of whitewashed roofs and infinity pools that overlook the blue sea around the Caldera. Oia is best for sunset photos.
Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Fira?
Fira and Firostefani (the near village) are best for taking Santorini photos of the iconic blue domes and whitewashed walls.
Where Can I Take Flying Dress Pictures in Imerovigli?
I believe Imerovigli is the best place to take Instagram worthy photos in Santorini. Located between Fira and Oia, Imerovigli sits opposite the Skaros Rock and it boasts lots of posh hotels and villas with private swimming pools, hot tubs and sundecks looking over the Caldera.
What Should I Wear To a Santorini Photoshoot?
If you don’t have your own flying dress, you can hire one. All Santorini photographers doing this type of shot would also include a dress hire with your package. Just remember to discuss this with them prior to booking your photo session.
Most photographers would only allow you to pick one rental dress. Should you want to change your outfit several times during the photo shoot, you’ll have to agree on this in advance and maybe to bring your own outfits. Remember that it’s your photosession, so things should unfold just as you want them to.
If you want to buy a flying dress of your own (or many) click here to see a maternity variant that might suit a wide range of body shapes and sizes.
The above picture wasn’t part of a professional photography session. Nonetheless, the girl got some lovely memories from her Santorini vacation.